The Literacy Council of Upper Pinellas, Inc. is a non-profit volunteer organization dedicated to teaching adults (age 16 and older) literacy skills using individualized curricula to enhance their self esteem, increase occupational and social opportunities and to enrich lifestyles.?We serve Clearwater, Dunedin, Largo, Oldsmar, Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, and Tarpon Springs.
Services provided for the adult learner:
- Basic Literacy for native English speakers needing help in enhancing their reading and writing abilities
- ESOL (English for speakers of other languages) tutoring for those needing help in speaking, reading and writing English as well as understanding American culture
- Test preparation assistance for those students taking the GED, TESOL, citizenship, or other exams
- Health literacy outreach in the community
Instructional materials include:
- Reading Horizons web-based?phonics program
- Staying Healthy curriculum
- Living in Pinellas
- Everyday materials relevant to the student’s goals such as newspapers, manuals, and books
- Workbooks and instructional materials from New Readers Press
Register for Just-in-Time Tutor Training
If you would like to volunteer as a tutor, you can! Please call the LCUP office for more information or to register at 727.298-3080 ext. 1724. If we can’t answer the phone when you call, please leave a message. You may also register online by filling in the form below. In either case, we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you!